SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF RELICOMP’S DAY-TO-DAY
In our operations, we have made contributions, investments and value choices that help us support sustainable development and take the well-being of the environment into account. Our five-year environmental programme defines the development targets and indicators for each period and their monitoring. We have been operating in accordance with the certified ISO 14001 environmental management system since 2003.
Sustainable development and environmental protection require us to gain more knowledge and familiarity with environmental legislation and train our staff. In our day-to-day operations, we highlight the fact that we are doing our best to protect the environment.
We want to do our part for a cleaner environment. As an employer, we do things for the environment that our employees can be proud of. We show our customers that more sustainable operating models and environmentally friendly value choices are at the heart of our business.
WE RECYCLE EVERYTHING WE CAN
The steel we use is 90% recycled, and we recycle 100% of all the steel left over from our production. We recycle and reuse 80% of the powder coating we use in the paint shop. The remaining 20% is incinerated as energy waste. In addition to this, all wood, cardboard and clear plastic waste is recycled.
Acting in accordance with sustainable development also enhances our operations and brings added value to our customers. Recycling paint saves us around €80,000 per year, and recycling scrap steel saves us around €200,000 per year. These saved resources can be used for other activities, such as investing in new technology.
THE FOCUS OF OUR CONSUMPTION IS NATURE
We continuously measure our amounts of metal and paint waste and energy consumption (electricity, heat, water and LPG). Any deviations are addressed immediately. The wastewater generated during pre-treatment at our paint shop used to be hazardous waste, but the changes in the chemicals we use have made the wastewater cleaner, and it can be safely discharged into the normal wastewater network.
We maximise the use of raw materials in our operations, which at the same time minimises the waste generated by our production. We have also intensified our cooperation with our waste management partner, thus further developing the sorting of waste.
WE INVEST IN MORE SUSTAINABLE TECHNOLOGY
We are constantly investing in the latest, more efficient technology. This enables more environmentally friendly operation as it reduces electricity consumption.
We are constantly identifying new development targets in our processes that will help us further improve environmental protection.
We actively explore new investment targets for the future. The waste heat from our paint shop can be recovered for heating the property. With the changes in the pre-treatment line, we are able to save a significant amount of water.
MANAGEMENT AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Our management is based on the Good Governance documentation, in which the responsibilities and authorities of the meetings of shareholders, the board of directors and the management are precisely defined. We have invested in an early support and intervention strategy that puts the needs of the employee at the centre and highlights potential challenges in coping at work more quickly. Our equality programme encourages supervisors to act equally and fairly in all situations.
We adhere to a data protection policy and the protection of privacy in our work. We always make sure that the subcontractors we use are responsible companies. We make sure that the subcontractors we use are responsible companies with transparent practices. We regularly audit our subcontractors.
Do you want to learn more about Relicomp’s occupational health and safety policy? Read the full policy here (in Finnish).